The Balkh and Ningarhar provinces have fertile agricultural land where local farmers manage their irrigation system, established decades ago. This systems suffer due to deferred maintenance and there is a need for improvement with the aim to make irrigation less labor intensive.The Water Resources Development Investment Program (WRDIP) will support Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW) and Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) to implement Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM) and develop the capacity to support activities and operationalize the institutional framework established in the Water Law. Specifically, it will include organizational capacity development of MAIL for Irrigation User Association support and implementation of PIM, as well as organizational capacity development of MEW for Water User Association support and implementation of WUA activities.
Under WRDIP, The Bureau for Rights Based Development has been awarded grants to facilitate the formulation and registration of the Irrigation Associations and Water User Associations and to implement capacity development activities in the areas of Moshtaq Canal in Balkh province and Ningarhar Valley Development Authority in Ningarhar Province. The contract has been established with the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) under the Asian Development Bank.
The program includes the following components:
- Social mobilization to catalyze requests from institutions and farmers for PIM
- Under the guidance of the newly approved by-laws of MAIL, form and strengthen Irrigation Associations and Water User associations under the by-laws of MEW
- Plan, design and oversee the construction of secondary and tertiary level structures in consultation with Irrigation Associations and Water User associations
- Develop a participatory assessment and diagnostic framework to facilitate the implementation and give Irrigation Associations and Water Users Associations a say in the project formulation
- A total of ten Demo Plats will be created, five in each of the province. The purpose of these demo plats is to practically provide information and know-how to the farmers.